Navigating US-China Legal Matters With Deep Knowledge And Insight
Seiden Law has one of the most active and experienced China practices in New York. We provide cutting-edge representation to Chinese clients in a wide range of matters involving US courts and US law. Our office includes partners with decades of experience in complex China-related matters as well as skilled native Mandarin speaking attorneys who are licensed to practice in the US and China. We regularly represent public and private companies as well as high-profile individuals in international litigation, arbitration, and other complex matters.
We also represent US clients in China-related matters. We have carved out a pathway to resolve disputes and achieve recovery for US investors in China. We have been recognized globally for our creative and innovative efforts.
Our practice areas cover:
- Cross-border Litigation
- International Arbitration
- International Judgment Enforcement & Global Asset Recovery
- Export Controls and Sanctions
- Cross-border Intellectual Property Infringement
- Cross-border Investment and Securities Fraud
- Regulatory Compliance and Investigation
- HR and Employment Issues
Representative engagements of our lawyers include:
- Representing Chinese investors in a lawsuit in New York state court seeking over $50 million in connection with the massive fraud at the Hanfor Asset Management Group.
- Representing a China-based company in an arbitration seated in Hong Kong involving over $130 million in claims. The tribunal ruled in favor of Seiden Law’s client on its counterclaim for abetting breaches of fiduciary duty.
- Representing an international estate in Maryland federal court to enforce HKIAC arbitration awards, which are the subject of parallel litigation in China and Hong Kong, including providing expert opinion on U.S. law to a Hong Kong court in one of those litigations. The matter is currently on appeal to the US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
- Representing respondent in proceedings in New York federal court seeking recognition of a $450 million Chinese arbitration award.
- Won a $475 million arbitration award on behalf of Chinese insurer in international arbitration venued in Hong Kong relating to $5 billion cross-border M&A transaction. Handled an eight-day trial in Hong Kong involving numerous fact and expert witnesses.
- Successfully briefed and argued a petition in New York state court to vacate an international arbitration award against the client, a financial services firm based in mainland China. The court vacated the arbitration award based upon fraud.
- Represented a China-based company in an arbitration seated in Hong Kong involving over $130 million in claims. Our team tried a highly contested evidentiary hearing in which multiple witnesses testified in Mandarin. The tribunal ruled in favor of our client on its counterclaim for abetting breaches of fiduciary duty.
- Represented a Chinese battery maker in defense of litigation brought by liquidating trustee for Coda Automotive in Delaware bankruptcy court; the case settled after a motion to dismiss was filed.
- Defended a Chinese manufacturer against a $15 million claim in Delaware bankruptcy court. The matter resolved on favorable terms after the motion was filed.
- Represented PAG, a leading investment company based in Hong Kong, in pursuing and exposing the hidden assets of notorious Chinese fugitive Guo Wengui, including identifying his New York apartment, yacht, and aircraft.
- Represented Advanced Battery Technologies, Inc., a company with shares previously listed on NASDAQ, as receiver appointed by Delaware Chancery Court to supervise forensic asset recovery in China, Hong Kong, and the U.S. and resolve the dispute.
- Represented Shengtai Pharmaceutical, Inc., a U.S. publicly listed company with Hong Kong and China operations, as receiver appointed by Delaware Chancery Court, to deal a structure with the company chairman.
- Represented a health and nutritional supplement business and a crude oil exploration and production company in China, as court receiver, appointed by the Nevada Second Judicial District Court, after the companies went dark in reporting to SEC in the U.S.
- Represented China Valves Technology, Inc., the second largest valve company in China that went dark after raising capital from U.S. investors, as receiver appointed by the Supreme Court of Nevada.
- Represented a publicly held gaming company in China and Macau, as receiver appointed by the Delaware Chancery Court in identifying and freezing $8 million in property in Hong Kong.
- Successfully represented as co-counsel with an Am Law 100 law firm in a protracted litigation and judgment enforcement matter in Manhattan state court on behalf of a Hong Kong private equity firm.
- Represented as appointed receiver in Hong Kong and Cayman Islands regarding a matter stemming from a publicly listed company in the U.S. accused of dissipation of corporate assets.
*Matters listed above include experience of our lawyers prior to joining Seiden Law
Partner, Head of Litigation
Head of China Practice